Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Introducing Nundle Yarnista: Ann Roworth



May we introduce you to Nundle Yarnista Ann Roworth


When did you first learn to knit, crochet, or create projects with yarn?
I'm not exactly sure when I first started knitting, I was probably 8 or 9 I think and somewhat lacking in patience. My first project was a pink scarf and I remember my Mum tirelessly picking up all of my dropped stitches! I have even earlier memories of creating a gigantic chain of finger knitting with my sisters and coiling it into a circular rug. I rediscovered a love of knitting around 2005 as a creative outlet and stress buster. The range of projects, techniques and yarns I have explored since then have grown exponentially. I taught myself to crochet last year.

Who introduced you to this love? 
Many women in my family are knitters, but my greatest influences would have to be my Mum and Gran. Both created many beautiful items for us: clothes for our toys; warm, hand-knitted jumpers, beanies and other clothing items.; even Chistmas decorations (a few years ago Mum even knitted a nativity scene complete with camels and woolly sheep!). Gran used to custom knit us bed socks for Winter and post them to us from Sydney to Quirindi and the cable knit jumpers she knitted on demand for two of my sisters were just beautiful.

Where do you like to knit/crochet/yarnbomb, etc? 
I will happily knit or crochet anywhere. I knit in the park, in cafes, in waiting rooms or on the bus. I will knit in company or alone. When I knit in public, people I don't know will often come up and chat to me about knitting, which is nice.

Do you create all year round or only during particular seasons? What projects do you enjoy most?   Where do you look for inspiration?
My friends think I am mad to knit in the heat of Brisbane summer, and they are probably right, but that doesn't phase me. A bemused Indonesian friend of mine once asked me why I was knitting jumpers for teapots in December and I replied that they were Christmas presents and that during a frosty winter in country NSW they'd become more useful! I enjoy knitting just about anything, but I hate knitting the same thing over and over again, I love variety. I find inspiration in books (old and new), magazines and websites, adapting patterns and experimenting with colour and texture to create unique pieces.

What project would you point to as your "Proudest Yarnista Moment"? 
My proudest moment was knitting my first jumper. It wasn't the most difficult pattern and the yarn I chose wasn't perfect either, but the fact I had made something that fitted me perfectly and that I still wear was a personal milestone. I was also pretty chuffed with the Hoot tea cosy I knitted a couple of years ago; inspired by Loani Prior's crazy cosies books and the ABC Kids show, Giggle and Hoot.




Is there anything else you would like to share that you think our fans might enjoy knowing?

I grew up in Quirindi, I'm a freelance editor and artist, I knit and sell hand-made original pieces under the name Twisted Stitcher and I am an errant blogger: www.annierow.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment