Thursday, July 25, 2013

Introducing Nundle Yarnista: Karina Honyi



May we introduce Nundle Yarnista: Karina Honyi

When did you first learn to knit, crochet, or create projects with yarn?
I would have been about 8 years of age.

Who introduced you to this love? 
I was taught to knit by my grandmother Aurora when she visited Australia from Peru (my country of birth). Sadly I don’t have any of the things I knitted but I do have a shawl, my 1stbirthday dress & my 4th birthday dress that were all knitted by her, my daughter has worn them all. The 1st birthday dress will soon be 45 years old!


Where do you like to knit/crochet/yarnbomb, etc?  
I’m always working on projects and until recently was knitting newborn props for photographers https://www.facebook.com/AurorasKnits  I was a photographer for 8 years before retiring to go back to full-time study (completed Cert IV in Community Services and currently undertaking Diploma in Community Services & Diploma in case Management and hope to attend University next year) so knitting is my stress relief. So with small projects there’s always something in my handbag.

I’ve recently caught the giant knitting bug and have designed my own knitting needles that are 45mm in diameter (which I will be selling), and I’ve been knitting huge blankets, scarfs and wraps, but my head is brimming with ideas for more things to try.



Do you create all year round or only during particular seasons?  What projects do you enjoy most?
There’s always some knitting within metres of me, thanks to air conditioning I can knit all year round, something my husband doesn’t understand in Summer, lol!

Where do you look for inspiration?
Everywhere, but on the internet Ravelry & Pinterest are my favourites.  

What project would you point to as your "Proudest Yarnista Moment"?  
My sister’s 40th birthday present (photo attached) a giant blanket, it weighs 2 kilos and I feel it’s something knitted with love, creativity and an artistic element (really passionate about this piece)




Is there anything else you would like to share that you think our fans might enjoy knowing?
I’m soon to be 46, married for 25 years, 2 kids 20 & 23, a dog ‘Lucky’ and a very spoilt cat named ‘Shelby’, she and I had a few issues when we first got her and my wool, but she’s now 1 ½ and she has her own wool balls I made her so she wouldn’t touch my wool.



No comments:

Post a Comment