Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Introducing Nundle Yarnista: Elizabeth Castle


May we introduce you to Nundle Yarnista Elizabeth Castle



When did you first learn to knit, crochet, or create projects with yarn? 
Since a very young age I have always enjoyed doing crafts.  When I was about 7 or 8 years of age Mum taught me to crochet and to knit, however I never had the patience to finish a project. About 2 years ago I picked up my crochet hooks whilst I was pregnant with my baby boy and decided to reteach myself how to crochet using Youtube tutorials. From there I have learnt to read and even write my own patterns. I have really developed a love of crochet now, it has become a real passion of mine.

Who introduced you to this love?
My Mum was a knitter and crocheter and taught me both. Mum was always very busy with work and keeping the household running, but in her spare time she always had some baby garment on her needles.

Where do you like to knit/crochet/yarnbomb, etc?  Only at home or knitting club, or do you take your projects everywhere you go? 
I mostly crochet at home whilst my son is taking a nap or in at night while watching tv or sitting bed. I also take my project with me on holidays or when we are going on a car trip. I seem to get a lot done while I'm a passenger in a car and I dont have a baby pulling at my yarn or trying to take my hook and pattern.

Do you create all year round or only during particular seasons?  What projects do you enjoy most?
Winter is a favourite time of mine though, as I get to wear and see others wearing beautiful, warm and cosy knitted or crocheted items.  However I now create crocheted items all year round as I have recently started selling my items on Facebook and at markets.  I love crocheting everything, from home decor, to wearables, toys, photo props... you name it, I will have a go at making it. I especially love making items for my son one of my favourites was a  hungry caterpillar cocoon and beanie I made him for a photo shoot when he was a few months old. (photo attached)


Where do you look for inspiration?
I find inspiration everywhere. Whilst I love searching the internet for new patterns and techniques I also love getting inspiration from non yarn items.

What project would you point to as your "Proudest Yarnista Moment"?
I think my proudest moment would be when I finally finished a project I had started when I was a child. I had begun making granny squares for a blanket when Mum first taught me to crochet, after making about 3 squares I gave up. Mum had kept these squares and I decided to complete the blanket for my baby boy. Almost 20 years after starting the blanket I finished it and it is used every day in my sons cot. (photo attached)




No comments:

Post a Comment