Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Introducing Nundle Yarnista: Sharon Tilston



May we introduce you to Nundle Yarnista: Sharon Tilston



When did I first learn to appreciate yarn? Who helped develop this love?
I was born into a family of yarn crafters, my great grandmother was into crochet, both my grandmothers knit and one also liked crochet and CWA crafts. Mum knit beautiful lace layette pieces for me and my sister and brothers. My aunts also knit. In my memory, all women knit while watching television.
I wanted to learn to knit about age 5 but Mum knew best. So I focussed on Mum's left over partial ball stash. I learned to make tidy balls and Mum made sure they were not too tight. I wound wool around Mum's spare needles to look like stitches.
At 7 our class was taught to knit at school. Mum helped me at home. A few inches of free form lace with random increases resulted. Disillusioned I returned to playing with the remnant balls.
At 9 I begged Mum to let me knit. She helped me choose 8ply wool for a crew neck raglan jumper. I guess she thought if it was a five minute wonder she could use the yarn to knit me a jumper. Mum cast on and knit most of the rib, I knit the stocking stitch sections with Mum translating the pattern, helping with shaping, finishing and the neckline. This was our first successful knitting project which I wore with pride. Our tension was very similar so we went on to knit several jumpers this way as my skills developed.

Where do I knit? Everywhere!
Growing up on a farm 20 minutes from town meant lots bus and car trips. Once I learned to knit without looking I knit on most journeys. All the knitters I knew growing up, knit while watching television so I did too. As a young teenager I knit in waiting rooms although Mum discouraged knitting baby clothes at the doctors, people might talk. I was knitting baby gifts for older friends, family and aunts.
Now I knit in the lunch room, waiting rooms, as a passenger on car trips, public transport, volunteering at my local Museum, coffee shops, restaurants, watching my children play sport, bank queues, at the hairdressers, dentist waiting room, in the movies, supermarket queues and at my own wedding. Yes, I was sprung by my sister who marched me back to my other guests. I was showing my young niece how to knit with the craft equipment supplied to entertain our younger wedding guests.
I am known in the village I live in as the woman who walks and knits. Inspired by Richard Rutt's History of Knitting, I learned to walk and knit which has saved me from having to choose to exercise or knit. This also proves a conversation starter. People often ask if where my knitting is if I do not have my knitting in hand. I was once told by a non-knitter that it was impossible to knit and walk at the same time so I jumped up and demonstrated this feat.
 I started the Millthorpe Knitting Group with a friend so we could get together once a month and knit in my local pub. I am also the Treasurer of the Canowindra Group of the NSW Knitters Guild. 
Year Round Knitter: I live in a cool climate, NSW Central Tablelands so our summers are usually. Summer projects often include socks, cotton bandanas, face washers, lace and baby clothes.

Most Enjoyable Projects
Charity knitting and gift knitting. I enjoy giving knit gifts as it shows the time and thought that went into the gift. Mum encouraged me to knit for a friend of the family who was about to become a teen single mum when I was just 15. Twenty five years later when the same family had another daughter diagnosed with breast cancer and requiring a mastectomy, I returned to their doorstep with a bright lace shawl and a heartfelt note.
Knitting for my grandchildren is also fun as they are still young enough to enjoy being individuals.




Knitting Photos. Please note the only person who thinks taking photos of me knitting is important is my 3 year old granddaughter hence the quality of the photos.
This is the photographer helping Nannie knit booties, she went through Nannies knitting bag to find a project so she could knit with Nannie of her own accord:






Inspiration
I love to browse knitting magazines both printed and online, knitty.com is a favourite. Designers who have inspired me include Jenny Kee, Liz Gemmell, Kaffe Fassett, Debbie Bliss, Elizabeth Zimmermann, Barbara Walker and Brendon Mabley. Ravelry is also a great source of inspiration, being able to see how other knitters have interpreted a pattern or substituted yarns is wonderful.
Proudest Yarnista Moment
My wedding outfit. My husband still tells anyone who will listen that I am a Knitter who knit her own wedding dress. I also knit shawls for myself and my matron of honour. My aunts took a lot of convincing that I had hand knit the whole outfit including the skirt in 5ply.



 Anything Else?
I grew up at a time when wool companies dictated knitters use their yarn, as other yarns may disappoint and modifications were discouraged. I learned not to knit in the colours on the pattern illustration after I saw myself coming in my late teens. In my 20s I discovered knitting writers like Elizabeth Zimmermann and Barbara Walker who encourage knitters to think for themselves, knit garments to fit their own bodies and add texture or lace patterns if desired. Kaffe Fassett and Liz Gemmell taught me not to fear colour.
I case I come across as a typical knitting grandmother my other hobby is skating roller derby. My derby name is Tinkers Toss and my number is T1NK. Tink is knit backwards as I often tink back to fix errors. I do not give a Tinkers Toss who thinks I am too old to skate or what the knitting police have to say about my knitting or where I choose to knit.
I have knit derby shorts and crochet skirts to illustrate my derby persona. I love challenging stereotypes and preconceptions. I found my knit derby shorts and matching water bottle cover most useful when injured recently at an Armidale Roller Derby Boot Camp. I needed to direct strangers to my equipment on the other side of the room while waiting for an ambulance "Find the water bottle that matches these shorts. It is next to my equipment". It worked. Comments like "She has to have guts to wear THAT in public" (referring to my derby shorts with insertion lace) make me beam with pride.

2 comments: