Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Introducing Nundle Yarnista: Christine Jones



May we introduce you to Nundle Yarnista, Christine Jones

When did you first learn to knit?  

I can’t remember learning to knit but I do remember that I had to knit some kind of soft toy in year 5, so I was about 10 and I made a teddy bear. Around the same time I knit a beanie for my pop (I had to reknit it because the first one was too big). I still remember that it was maroon and white stripes with a giant pompom on top. Then my next memory of knitting was in college ( at around 18) and one of my classmates was always knitting, usually amazing fair isle jumpers, she got most of the class hooked on knitting. It was the 80s so it was all big, oversize, drop shoulder, lots of colour. Jenny Kee was my idol! I’ve never really stopped since then, and I’ve always loved colours.






This is me at home (wearing some knitted jewellery I made in a workshop with Teresa Dair), the jacket can be seen in the background.

When/Where do you like to knit?

I used to knit with a small group of ladies in Lennox Head once a week but now I’m working fulltime I don’t knit with others. I knit every night at home....I can’t just sit & watch TV/movie...I need to be knitting. If I’m not knitting then my family knows I’m either very tired or feeling unwell.

What inspires you when creating a project?

I’ve designed a few of my own patterns (which I sell via Ravelry – I’m there as yarnaboutyarn). My inspiration can come from anything.....the yarn, the colours, a cloud formation, water, anything.

For this competition I’m being inspired by Missoni (the Italian fashion house reknown for their chevron stripes and a picture by a graphic designer of stacked tea cups.




No comments:

Post a Comment